Friday, March 30, 2012

Book Review: Jinx by Meg Cabot

Jinx

Meg Cabot



Synopsis
It's not easy being Jinx. 

Jean Honeychurch hates her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just . . . Jean). What's worse? Her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes even to New York City, where Jinx has moved to get away from the huge mess she caused in her small hometown. Her aunt and uncle welcome her to their Manhattan town house, but her beautiful cousin Tory isn't so thrilled. . . . 

In fact, Tory is hiding a dangerous secret one that could put them all in danger. Soon Jinx realizes it isn't just bad luck she's been running from . . . and that the curse she has lived under since the day she was born may be the only thing that can save 
her life.


Review
Meg Cabot and I… I have an interesting thought process whenever I see a Meg Cabot book, part of me wants to read it so bad and the other part wants me to avoid it at all costs. I cannot really explain it, but it might something to do with the fact that she usually tends to lean towards plots I have no interest in reading and plots that I find insanely interesting. Also I'm a huge fan of the Mediator series. So on a whim at the library (a thing that happens quite often) I went: Okay Sam pick it off the shelf, sounds interesting maybe you'll like it. I do that a lot, you'll hear the story about me giving a book a chance because it's a library book.

This book was both enjoyable and confusing. I found the plot enjoyable and the environment and whole idea. I also found the prose enjoyable. The confusing part was Jinx herself. Other than something that happens in the beginning and that it is her nickname she never felt especially "Jinx-y". I also could never figure out her motivation and it would miff me that she seemed to no nothing at some points and know everything at other points.

It is a good fluff read, however, and I personally adore the villain of Tory and her drive.

In Depth Spoiler Review
I have to admit I enjoyed the ending/climax a lot. I enjoyed that Tory what batshit crazy and was ready go sacrifice and drink Jinx's blood and whatever. I do wish that I enjoyed this book more, though. Jinx denying she had magic and then having it felt like a betrayal to me as a reader, why didn't Jinx trust the reader to know this about her, screw hints I trusted her.

I do adore, adore the "prophecy" that either Tory or Jinx would have magic and how that set everything in motion, it really was a cool idea.

Overview
Some things I loved, some things I didn't like so much. As a Meg Cabot book it's pretty average her, so if you love Meg Cabot and you love her heroines this is a book you will enjoy. If you also want yourself a fluff YA urban fantasy romance, I'd go ahead and pick this up as well.

3.5 Bookmarks



1 comments:

Brasil said...

Meg's books ALWAYS put me in a good mood. I have the first Insatiable, but haven't read it yet.

Post a Comment