Tuesday, May 1, 2012

ARC Book Review: Blackwood by Gwenda Bond


Blackwood

Gwenda Bond


ARC Disclaimer: I was not paid in any way by the publishers to review this book favourably. The review is my own honest opinion (Whether or not it is agreed with).


Publication Date: September 4th 2012

Publisher: Strange Chemistry

Pages: 416

Genre: Horror, Paranormal, Mystery, Young Adult

On Roanoke Island, the legend of the 114 people who mysteriously vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago is just an outdoor drama for the tourists, a story people tell. But when the island faces the sudden disappearance of 114 people now, an unlikely pair of 17-year-olds may be the only hope of bringing them back.

Miranda, a misfit girl from the island’s most infamous family, and Phillips, an exiled teen criminal who hears the voices of the dead, must dodge everyone from federal agents to long-dead alchemists as they work to uncover the secrets of the new Lost Colony. The one thing they can’t dodge is each other.

Blackwood is a dark, witty coming of age story that combines America’s oldest mystery with a thoroughly contemporary romance.

I am not proud, I know that my blog isn't so big as of now and that galleys I request on NetGalley are 99% going to be rejected, so when my request for Blackwood was approved I was both incredibly excited and apprehensive. Why had I gotten chosen? Was the book not that good?

Well my worries were for naught, Blackwood is a very good book, so thank you Strange Chemistry for allowing me to read this as an ARC.

This book cleverly plays off of an existing bit of American history, combines it with European legends and grand old John Dee, who should really pop up more in young adult novels in my opinion, he makes an excellent villain.

Blackwood sends chills down your spine, keeps you on the edge of your seat, all while unfolding a clever storyline. It is a little bit of horror, a little bit of mystery and paranormal and a little bit of young adult. The storyline does not follow a predictable path and really kept me guessing.

I personally feel as if this book holds up very well against many of the young adult books coming out this year, and it has slipped its way into being one of my favourites.


I recommend this book to lovers of young adult paranormal, strange history and horror stories. It is a well written work that I'm sure will only get better. It is also a book I plan to reread and buy a hard copy of eventually.




4 Bookmarks



0 comments:

Post a Comment