Saturday, May 5, 2012

Book Review: Eyes Open by K.L. Glanville


Eyes Open (2108 #1)

K.L. Glanville




Publication Date: April 9th 2012

Publisher: Luminations Media Group, Inc

Pages: 270

Genre: SciFi, Young Adult

It’s the year 2108. I just turned 16. That means I can access the autopilot on my Aerokopa. So now, I can both fly and scope the Dat-X at the same time. But what good is that when I don’t even have a date to my best friend’s party of the century? Okay, well, one of the Holdouts offered to go with me . . . but there’s NO WAY I’m going with one of them! And then there are the Trollers docked at the quay. They’re most likely spies working with the Aliens, bringing nothing but trouble. But with this visit, they may even bring war. It would be treason to talk to them, let alone . . . befriend one. But what’s a curious girl to do? Did I tell you I have a propensity for trouble?

You know what my favourite part about blogging book reviews is? The opportunities I get to enter contests to win books or when I get sent an ARC. Eyes Open is one of those books received in a contest. I was pretty happy when I won since I had decided that I really need to read more YA Scifi that isn't Dystopic. In other words I needed more spaceships and aliens in my life.

What makes this 2108 series so interesting is the world that Glanville has created here. At first I was plunged head first into this world and it was hard to grasp, but as I kept reading it got easier, and by midway the first part I was completely entranced by it. The idea that Glanville approaches here are really two. The first being that all "gods" were aliens and that they have arrived on Earth to "help us out". The second is how people will react to growing technology that includes messing with your own body. Through the mind of the main character, Jewel, we learn of the four factions living on Earth: Aliens, Bionics (Humans with "improvements"), Naturals (Humans with no alien DNA or "improvements), and Holdouts which are against the aliens completely. I'm not entirely sure, but I guess that the four stylized numbers in the series title represent each faction.

Jewel is given the opportunity to learn about these different people inhabinating Earth, sometimes not so willingly, and what I find so amazing is how each group is culturally different, even having slightly different slang.

There are times when the plot seems to change abruptly that I wish had smoother transitions. It was almost as if Glanville was getting impatient and trying to get the plot to where it was supposed to be, but the plot wanted to be longer and was having an argument with her (yes I know I sound crazy). Other than those times I really enjoyed the prose and style of the writing.

Eyes Open is a book that deserves more publicity than it's probably getting.



I recommend this book to lovers of YA SciFi, specifically I think if you liked Anne Osterlund's Academy 7 you will enjoy this book, or even Scott Westerfield's books. Don't let its indie status pull you away fro trying it, I certainly don't regret picking it up.


4 Bookmarks



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to review my book!

Post a Comment